Earned Income Tax Credit
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a special tax benefit for working people who earn low to moderate incomes. It is a refundable federal tax credit that reduces or eliminates their income taxes. If the amount of tax credit the worker qualifies for is more than taxes he/she owes, the worker will receive the difference as a cash refund. The EITC allows working families and individuals to keep more of the money they work so hard to earn.
United Way Erie Free Taxes is a program established to help eligible low to moderate income wage earners claim the federal EITC by providing them with free federal, state and local tax preparation at Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites in various city and county locations.
Additional services provided by Erie Free Taxes: Community Outreach and education regarding the benefits of the federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) program, and financial literacy and asset management education and counseling.
- Form 1040EZ
- Form 1040 A
- With schedule 1, 2, 3 & EIC
- Form 1040
- With Schedule A, B, EIC & R
- Form 1040 – V
- Form 1040 – ES
- Form 2441 (Child and Dependent Care Credit)
- Form 8863 (Education Credits)
- Form 8812 (Additional Child Tax Credit)
Will Not Prepare:
- Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business)
- Complicated & Advanced Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses)
- Schedule E (Rents & Losses)
- Form SS-5 (REquest for Social Security Number)
- Form 2106 (Employee Business Expenses)
- Form 3903 (Moving)
- Form 8606 (Non-deductible IRA)
- Form 8615 (Minor’s Investment Income)
Advantages of the EITC:
- Lifts approximately 5 million Americans above the poverty line every year
- Reduces child poverty by 25%
- Is a powerful wage subsidy
- Can increase wages by up to $2/hour*
- Rewards work and stabilizes the workforce
- Generates additional economic activity and growth within the community
*Sources: Govebrookings Institution
You may be eligible for the federal Earned Income Tax Credit if your 2013 earned income and adjusted gross income are less than:
- $46,227 ($51,567 married filing jointly) with 3 or more qualifying children
- $43,038 ($48,378 married filing jointly) with 2 qualifying children
- $37,870 ($43,210 married filing jointly) with 1 qualifying child
- $14,430 ($19,680 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children
Tax Year 2013 Maximum Credit
- $6,044 with 3 or more qualifying children
- $5,372 with 2 qualifying children
- $3,250 with 1 qualifying child
- $487 with no qualifying child
Free Tax Filing Services
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Sites
- Free income tax filing services for households with incomes of $52,000 or less
- Federal, state and local tax returns are completed by trained and IRS certified volunteers at VITA sites located throughout the city and county of Erie.
- Income tax returns are filed electronically at all VITA sites.
- Savings opportunities.
Drop Off Service
Drop Off Service is a free service that allows you to bring your tax information to one of several designated Erie FREE Taxes locations and return a few days later to review, sign, and recieve copies of your completed returns. No need to wait while your tax returns are being prepared.
Call 1-888-829-5680 for a list of VITA and Drop Off Service sites and schedules or download a copy here - Erie FREE Taxes Vita & Drop off sites-schedule
Want To Do Your Own Taxes?
If your income is 58,000 or less, you can complete your own federal and state income tax returns online and without cost. Certified tax preparers are available by phone or email to answer any tax related questions you may have. To use MyFreeTaxes, simply go to www.unitedwayerie.org/ErieFreeTaxes and click on the MyFreeTaxes link.
New at CAREER LINK
If your income is $58,000 or less and you want to do your own taxes but would like to have a certified tax preparer present to answer your federal or state return questions, call CAREER LINK at 455-9966 to make an appointment for this new filing option.
- Available in February only
- FREE use of on-site computers
- No charge
- Open to the public
- Volunteers prepare basic and intermediate-level tax returns
- Volunteers do not need a background in finance, business, or accounting
- This is a wonderful opportunity to help people in a way that improves quality of life for individuals, families, and the community
Through the awareness, education, and the use of free tax preparation sites we will succeed in bringing the benefits of the EITC to our community.
If you are interested in learning more about the VITA volunteer experience, please contact:
Cheryl Bates, Program Director
Erie FREE Taxes
814-456-2937, ext. 236